Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Good King Wenselas

Every Christmas season, I look forward to hearing the Christmas carol, Good King Wenselas because his character inspires kindness. The other carols focus on the miracles and hopes of this season or event lost loves for my Christian friends.  But this carol teaches me what it means to live the life of a good leader, a good Christian.  When I was a student, we studied the ancient stories about kings to figure out the values at that time.  Those naratives linked the fullness of the harvest to the king's bounty in fishing or the freedom and independence of the tribe to the king's ability to fight and prevail with monsters.  When I hear Good King Wenselas, I am reminded about the power of kindness as an inspiration to a society that cares for everyone who struggles. 

I have friends who volunteer in the Out of the Cold programs, in Habitat for Humanity, at St. Francis Table and Foodshare.  For me, they are modern examples of that medieval king.  May we each find a powerful example of kindness in our lives that we can follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment