Thursday, August 22, 2013

Welcoming strangers to the group

I have been working out regularly at the Y for several years and have gotten to know the regulars who come when I do in the early morning.  New people come and go especially after the summer break and the New Year.  I don't usually step forward to meet them until I see them continually for a few weeks.  But one woman keeps her eyes open for new arrivals and introduces herself to the new person and includes her in conversations as soon as she sees her again.  It seems to me that everyone knows her by name and she knows everyone else at the Y. 

She celebrates other people's accomplishments, praises new clothes and only tells stories about others when there is potential for the listener to be helpful. 

I once spoke to her about how I admired her attentiveness to others.  She told me that in the past, she had felt left out and knows how it feels.  It's one thing to develop great social skills and improve your own situation, and still another to use these skills to consistently get other people into happier situations.  You are a really good woman Rusty! 

No comments:

Post a Comment