Sunday, January 2, 2011

Why observe kindness?

Some friends have asked why I chose to look for acts of kindness this year.  I think that cynicism is a constant threat to an open mind and an open heart.  I want to avoid this easy path down to cynical explanations for the way the world works.  I want to be always open in my interpretation of surprises ahead.  Events that are more difficult to experience and/or observe will also occur.  Watching for kindness in others will offer me insight in how to proceed. 

This morning I attended a celebration of the birth of a little girl.  There will many toddlers and their parents at the party.  One mum was obviously tired of chasing around her toddler.  Her sister said something quietly to her  and took up the chase of the engergetic toddler while the mum relaxed for a few minutes and chatted with friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment